• For NMEP
Why the Chadha Committee?
• Malaria used to be rampant in India in 1950’s
– It was the greatest handicap in the socio-economic development of the country
• National Malaria Control Program (later NMEP) was launched in 1953
– to control the extremely high levels of Malaria infections
• The program operated in 4 phases
4. Maintenance: House to house visits to identify fever cases (Vigilance)
• A special organization was established for the first 3 phases
• The ‘Maintenance’ phase: the responsibility for the activities was to be passed on to the General health services of the country in 1964
• Chadha committee was appointed
– To identify the arrangements for this important hand over of the maintenance phase
• Chadah committee
• Appointed by the Government of India in 1963
– Under the Chairmanship of Dr. M.S. Chadah.
– The then Director General of health Services
• To study the arrangements necessary for
– the maintenance phase of the
– National Malaria Eradication Programme
• The Committee recommended
• ‘Vigilance’ operations under NMEP
– Should be the responsibility of the general health services i.e.
– Primary health centres at the block level.
• Vigilance operations included:
– Monthly home visits to identify fever cases
– To be carry out through separate workers
– The ‘basic health workers’.
– One basic health worker per 10,000 population was recommended.
• The Basic health workers were seen as ‘multipurpose workers’ i.e.
1. In addition to malaria vigilance, have duties of
2.Collection of vital statistics and
• The Family Planning Health Assistants were
– To supervise 3 or 4 of these basic health workers.
• From the district level upwards:
– The general health services were to take the responsibility for the maintenance phase
• Park, K. (2021) Parks Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine. 26th Edition, M/S Banarsidas Bhanot Publishers, Jabalpur
• Chadha Committee Report, National Health Portal website. Available at: https://www.nhp.gov.in/sites/default/files/pdf/chada_committe_report.pdf accessed on 17 Sep 2021 at 2PM
Bhore Committee: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/bhore-committee
Lecture on Bhore committee: http://www.ihatepsm.com/resource/bhore-committee
Mudaliar Committee: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/mudaliar-committee
Lectures on Mudaliar committee: http://www.ihatepsm.com/resource/mudaliar-committee
Chadha Committee: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/chadah-committee-1963
Lecture on Chadha Committee: http://www.ihatepsm.com/resource/chadha-committee-1963